Thursday, February 5, 2009

Back Home....AGAIN !....Thank You

Just a note to let everyone know that I am back home from the hospital.
To those that sent an e-mail or made a phone call, I thank you.

On Saturday evening (January 31st) around 9PM, I was overcome with some strong pains in my chest. We were traveling from Oswego back to Clyde when it happened. We had just finished having dinner with 2 other couples, friends of ours from the marina. I had Dottie take over driving and she drove me directly to the E.R. at Newark-Wayne Hospital. I spent the next 6 hours being checked over for a heart attack, and thank God, I didn't have one. I was then admitted to the Telemetry Unit of the hospital until noon the next day. My cardiologist did suspect a blockage, and made the necessary preperations for me to go to Rochester General Hospital on Tuesday (February 3rd).

Sure enough, after a angiogram, a blockage was found in my diagonal coronary artery, and Dr. Ling Ong placed two stents in that vessel to open it back up. He had already placed 3 other stents in my LAD artery in 1999 (1) and 2006 (2)

"This is a picture of the angiogram showing the blockage in the diagonal artery.
Notice the white space at the beginning of the diagonal artery. That is the blockage.
After stent placement, that white space disappears, meaning that blood is now flowing into the artery."


These 2 stents were put in a bit differently than my prior 3 stents. Instead of using the femoral artery in my groin, he used my right radial artery in my wrist. One tiny puncture hole into my wrist and artery, and in went the catheter. He went up my arm, into the brachial artery, then into the subclavian artery, across my chest, into the arch of the aorta over the top of my heart and right into the diagonal branch artery. It is unbelievable how far this technology has come since my last double stent placement back in 2006. The best part is the recoup time....now hours instead of days.
Right now, I feel great, and hopefully this will make me a bit more comfortable over then next few years.

Again, thanks for your well wishes, it is deeply appreciated.....
Al

No comments: