Friday, April 3, 2009

Re-Finishing, and Finishing

This week was spent re-finishing the teak parquet sole in the salon, galley and lower helm.
I must admit, for my first re-finishing experience, it turned out pretty good. Frankly, i don't understand the whole process.....why put a new finish down, then re-sand it the next day, and put down another coat, and re-sand that the next day, and finally put down the same thing again for the final finish. Oh well....another reason I am not a woodworker.

I used Minwax Fast Drying Polyurethane in a clear satin finish. I did find that applying it with foam brush gives much better results than a natural bristle brush. Thursday was the final finish coating day, and the weather was in the mid-60's, and bright sun.....giving the floor a good chance to dry uniformerly.
It really made a big difference in how the floor looks, and everyone who has seen it remarks about it.....so I guess, I was successful.

This weekend, our electrician will be running the wiring for the new outlets, and his brother, who is a wood craftsman is making us teak electrical boxes and covers. I am sure they will look great when completed.

No comments: