Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Sackets Harbor to Cape Vincent

Tuesday August 11th.
Our original plan for today was to head out of Sackets Harbor and go the the Thousand Islands Club in Alexandria Bay....but as we all know, plans are made to be put by the wayside.

We left Sackets Harbor to begin a 55 mile trek to Alex Bay. We got about 10 miles out of Sackets Harbor and our port engine began acting up. Within a few minutes, the engine quit, and it would not restart. Thankfully, the lake was calm, and we had about a 15 mile trip to Cape Vincent to go. I felt it was safer to pull into Cape Vincent until I could determine what the problem was. We used our starboard engine for the remainder of the trip to Cape Vincent, and while underway, I determined we had a clogged fuel filter on the port side. Running on one engine slowed us down to about 7 knots, and we did not make landfall at the Anchor Marina until 1PM.
Being that the boat is new to Dottie and I, I thought it best to have someone check things out for us. I called a mechanic, Hans Wahl at French Creek Marina, that I knew in Clayton, and I explained the problem. He agreed it was fuel related and said he could make the 20 mile drive within the hour. Hans was the person I hired back in October when we bought this boat to survey the engines. He comes as a very highly regarded diesel mechanic in this neck of the woods. He asked if I had filters aboard, and I said I did. He arrived about 3 PM, and I showed him the filters I had....apparently they were the wrong ones, but he was confident he could get them in Clayton, so he headed to the NAPA store in Clayton only to be told they were out of stock.
He then called the NAPA store in Alex Bay, but no luck, out of stock also. Well, he finally tracked them down at a NAPA store in Syracuse, and off he went to pick them up, along with a few spares for my collection.
He had the filters in his hands at 5PM, but called me back to say it was too late to get back to Cape Vincent and install them, so we would have to spend the night in Cape Vincent.
The gentleman at Anchor Marine was very accomodating and arranged for both the Lucky Find III and Camelot to spend the night there. At $0.80 cents a foot, it was the most reasonable dockage we had ever heard of.

After settiling in, we walked into town and stopped at a place called Captain Jack's for dinner. It was good, nothing special, but good. From there we walked to a grocery store called Aubrey's and stocked up on a few items, and then back to the boat.
We sat on the Camelot for a nightcap, and at about 9:30Pm a severe thunderstorm came through. It poured for about 20 minutes, and the lightening lit the sky, but by 10 it was over and off to bed we went.

No comments: