Friday, September 18, 2009

Final In-The-Water Chores

We scheduled our annual haul-out today with the marina. We will be pulled next Wednesday, September 23rd at 2PM.
This weekend will be spent readying the boat for haul-out. I changed the oil in both the engines and generator and put in new oil filters. Diesels are new to me, and I can't get over that each engine holds 16 quarts (4 gallons) of oil. I am used to gasoline engines that held only 5 quarts of oil. After the oil changes, I spent some time tidying up the engine room, and then went up above to empty the water tanks. Things all went well, and she looks like it is ready to be put on the hard for the winter.
I am already antsy for next season, and we are not even out of the water yet....but this gives both Dottie and I plenty of time to plan what we will do next year.

All in all, this year was really spent just getting to learn the in's and out's of this trawler. Not much time was spent doing any cruising, but I have to say, I did gain a lot of knowledge....so, at least it was good for something.
We are looking forward to doing a lot more cruising next season, althouh it will only be spent traveling around NYS.

No comments: